Dog Bee Sting Home Remedies: getting stung from an angry bee is no fun and dogs often pay the consequences. Fortunately, most bee stings cause local irritation at the most, but it’s always best to keep an eye on your dog for signs of an allergic reaction. Knowing what to do when your dog gets stung by a bee comes handy, so you won’t be caught unprepared.
Get that Stinger Out
Where there’s a dog stung by a bee, there is usually a stinger that the bee has left behind. Be careful though in trying to remove it; if you squeeze it, more toxins may release, which is something you definitely don’t want! To get it out, you can part your dog’s fur and try scraping it away by using your fingernail or the corner of a credit card.
Sooth with Baking Soda
Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply to the area after the stinger is out. Do this several times a day to provide relief. The alkalinity of the baking soda relieves the itching, suggests Larry Thompson a veterinary toxicologist in the book ” Home Remedies for Cats and Dogs.” Other options include using a little dab of calamine, a thin layer of aloe vera gel or a soothing coat of milk of magnesia.
Cool Down with Compresses
If the area appears slightly swollen, you can cool it down with cold compresses. The cold reduces the swelling since it constricts the blood vessels in the area, explains veterinarian Dr. Michael Salkin. You can simply soak a small towel in cold water and then rinse it and apply to the area.
Buy Some Benadryl
For mild local swelling, plain Benadryl can help. The dose is 1 mg per pound that can be given every 8 hour for 24 to 36 hours, suggests veterinarian Dr. Fiona. Improvement is generally seen in 30 minutes. If you notice rapid swelling with red lips, itchiness and swelling around the eyes and neck region, see your vet as this can progress to anaphylactic shock—see below.
When to See the Veterinarian
In some cases, dogs may develop serious allergies as a result of bee stings that require prompt veterinary attention. Facial swelling that involves the nose or the throat may impair breathing leading to a potentially life-threatening situation. Signs suggesting anaphylactic shock other than swelling of the nose and throat include sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhea, drop in blood pressure, pale gums, cold limbs, seizures and collapse. If you notice any of these symptoms rush to the emergency vet as every minute counts. If your dog is allergic to bug bites, make sure to always carry an epi-pen for your dog with you.
*Disclaimer: All remedies suggested are not to be used as a substitute for professional veterinary advice. If your pet is sick please refer to your veterinarian for a hands on examination. If your pet is exhibiting behavior problems please refer to a professional pet behaviorist.